Saturday, September 7, 2019

Revisiting an Old Writing, Part 2: Where "Bratty" Can Be Fun

Cross-posted to FetLife, if preferred for commentary, loves, etc.

Disclaimer: This is regarding what I can enjoy in brats, and this should not be considered universal nor 100% comprehensive by any stretch, same goes for the previous writing regarding what I dislike.

So in my last post, I had things to say regarding frustrations, anxieties, awkwardness, and discomfort with people who may get carried away with what they feel a brat is.  Now, about where brats are fun...


Creativity with care

I enjoy telling this story, because it really highlights some of how my slave can be a little shit and constantly be entertaining to have around.  Early on in our relationship, I was teasing her in some way, it was long enough ago that I can't even remember what it was anymore.  So she swore "Do that one more time and I'm putting peanut butter in your work shoes."  Guys, I'm OCD about stuff like that, they'd never feel "clean" again to me if she did and she knew that, and these things are safety shoes that are actually comfortable to me, tough for any pair of safety shoes, and over $100... so ya better as fuck not ruin them... so, knowing she knows that, I call her bluff, specifically pointing out aloud to her that she knows how truly angry I'd be if she did, then tease her again the same way, provoking her to follow through on her provocation, the "I dare you to fuck with this" kinda thing... which she then promised she would.  "Uh huh, suuuure, alright" I say.  "You'll see!" she cries.
The next morning, I go to put my shoes on on my way out the door, and there is a new peanut butter jar, unopened, sitting in the opening of one of my work shoes.

"When I say I'll do something, I'll do it, dammit!  ...I just had to figure out how to without making you hate me."

I didn't know what to expect, it was creative, it was fun, and she listened.  It wasn't disrespectful, she didn't disregard what matters to me, but it was also playful.

And with that, let's get into...

Finding loopholes
What do I mean by "loopholes"?  Think of a djinn or genie, the "be careful what you ask for, because you'll get it, but it may be very different than you imagine."

You said X, but you didn't say Y couldn't be involved!
You said X, well, this other thing is technically a type of X!
You said X, you didn't say I had to do anything there.

You get the idea.  Often times, it ends up "spirit of the order vs. the letter of the order," where taking advantage of loopholes tends to take the more literal definition of the wording of the order given.

Mind you, I will not accept anyone who does this with limits, or does this with everything.  Recognize where it won't cause harm.  Recognize when it's important to them that you not play games, because this is essentially playing games with what they're saying.

So, I've stated elsewhere that, with my hypnosis play and suggestions, there are various points that I intentionally leave some specific detail open, generally non-crucial details, to see how they interpret it.  This has made for some pretty interesting responses, and as I love seeing new reactions and responses, that's very appetizing for me.  Mind you, I always do my best to ensure all the safety details are in place: the kinds of "blanks" I leave would more be what something specifically looks like, how a specific thing happens, only pointing out the result, or something else benign, basically allowing for creativity on the part of the subject.

One example I've used was a suggestion that, for the next few minutes, this one sub could only respond with the phrase or a part of the phrase "I must obey."  So the bratty response I got?  "Yes" responses ended up turning into "I" (as in "aye"), "no" responses ended up with shaking of the head, and other responses got other gestures and/or shrugs, after all, I never said she had to speak... did I mention she knew ASL?  There were a lot of gestures that didn't involve speaking.

Working with loopholes being closed

With the last example, I started teasing that I didn't understand, and if she really wanted me to understand, she'd have to say something.  Multiple attempts were made, sighs that got more and more emphatic as one does when their counterpart is being a little shit, then we carried on into other parts of play.

Later on, my suggestions forced verbal responses (avoid shaking head for "no" as an example), full phrases (can't just say "I" for "yes"), that kinda thing, closing those loopholes... which led to creative use of tone and emphasis of words, but still creatively rebellious while still fully following the wording of the suggestion given.  It was still fun, creative, and we were both still having fun with it.

Gentle beginnings, feeling things out
Someone I know, after being super quiet and shy for literal months in getting to know almost anyone, they started poking at a few people, literally, including myself, so I started poking at them.  Then at some point, "I may have to hit you if you keep that up," I say to the known-masochist, to which I get the response of "I dunno if you can hit hard enough" and their upper arm pushed in my general direction in a "here's your target" kinda gesture.  Later, we were hitting each other's arms, poking and deflecting pokes from each other, and scratch down each other's arms on a regular basis like a random set of siblings when looking for some interaction, with random chit chat about our flirt languages and such here and there.

They felt things out with people in ways that made sense for them and what they saw of people.

If they started with randomly grabbing me, scratching at me as hard as they do now, or similar, I'd probably have gotten pissed off.  But, it built up over time, there being organic growth that doesn't just randomly happen, a "I want to try X, how do I indicate this safely," the cogs turning, and later, that gets easier and quicker than at the very beginning.

Respectful sarcasm

I can get frustrated and very non-flirty in receiving "right right, whatever, siiir," with that "siiir" being a very sarcastic tone.  It's not intended to be respectful.  That said, when respectful, in my personal opinion, it's where the sarcasm is not around the role/dynamic, but around something else in the comment.  Around agreement or disagreement, around feeling about what they were told to do, etc.

Now, being someone myself who enjoys a good amount of sarcasm, I've always been annoyed when people act like "sarcasm" is automatically equivalent with "disrespectful to a person."  But there are people who just act like sarcasm is perfectly fine everywhere, and that's not true, either, it definitely can be disrespectful, depending on how it's used.  It can also just be a different way of communicating, one that is meant to amuse.  And when used in a fun manner, it's a totally different tone, and fun to respond and interact with.  I also consider "respectful sarcasm" to not be an oxymoron, but one isn't exempt from being considerate because they are "always sarcastic," either.



I've multiple times half-joked that my style of being a Dom is being a brat that gets away with it, even that many Doms are like that at some point or another, so yea, can't hate on brats that bad, right?

That said, I'd advise someone to take a moment or three before they just jump into being bratty with someone.  Some people that love constant battling, and while I do not, I can appreciate small moments like that, and those who seeks calm service likely will not appreciate any form of battling.  Some people love their brat being insulting as a sign that it's time for some punishment, and I don't want punishment to be fun and isn't fun for me, either.  I'd bet many actually enjoy aspects of bratting more than they may think... it just has to include what they seek in a partner, as well.

Different people are different, and I don't go into everything one can do here as a brat, but I touch on what I personally enjoy in a brat, and in the previous writing, things I personally do not enjoy.  So, generally, as long as their behavior fits these basic concepts of "this ok, that not ok," I'll likely have a good amount of fun.

Just make sure to have room for real communication, no matter who ya decide to brat with.

No comments:

Post a Comment